homestead - Re: [Homestead] Supreme Court and gun question Re: Was Video about Obama

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Supreme Court and gun question Re: Was Video about Obama
  • Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 17:47:22 -0700

On Apr 1, 2008, at 12:54 PM, clhw wrote:

Washington, DC has banned private ownership of handguns. At this point, the
transcripts of the Supremes' questionings indicate that the Nine are
inclined to say that the Second Amendment is supporting individual
ownership and bearing of arms and that the city and/or state cannot abridge
that right.

That is what seems to be their position and I am glad of it. Frankly, I do not believe that the wording of the 2nd Amendment gives we individual citizens the right to bear arms, because, even knowing the antiquated way those founders wrote, the sentence, with a comma, ties the right to the militias. I think the apparent position of the Supremes reflects their understanding that if they ruled against the individual right, militia or no militia, they might well foster a revolution. An armed revolution.

So they will finesse the written decision to meet, not the meaning of the founders, but the will of the people.