homestead - Re: [Homestead] Outstanding in the Field-locavorism on tour.

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Outstanding in the Field-locavorism on tour.
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:49:18 -0700

At 3/21/2008 03:14 PM,Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:
On Fri, Mar 21, 2008 at 9:53 AM, <paxamicus AT earthlink.net> wrote:

> Now this, anybody could put together. A cutesy little web page and
> boom....
> http://www.outstandinginthefield.com/faq.html
> What a great idea. I've got lamb. Anybody else? Rob? Lisa? : )

I saw this before. Each 'event' is unique; they host the dinner in different
places, different menu, different whatever. For $150-$200? The attendees
must have money to burn.

The wheels are grinding and thinking of numbers...$150 x 130 avg attendees =
$19,500! For one meal! Food costs have gone way up, but still the profit
margin on this meal must be 50% or better. Not a bad way to make a living.
Throw one 'event' per month for 4-6 months of the year.

Since you're game, come mid-to-late summer I can supply all the fresh,
not-certified-organic fruit you could want. Just as long as we don't have a
repeat of last year and lose it all in a freeze. Knock wood.

Lisa

> http://www.outstandinginthefield.com/faq.html

That enterprise has to have some kind of learning curve! Guest chefs , "nomadic" kitchen, the local fresh foods and of course the health department. When you did get past the learning curve you'd have all kinds of opportunities for advertising your products to the local population.

I really think you'd have to enjoy running a quality restaurant out of a lunch wagon setting to have any fun with this model. I'm reminded of the BBQ shows I've seen where the people go horse back riding or canoeing or sailing and stop for a quality bbq put on by the organizers of the event. Steaks or seafood or some other local speciality, a days event with a meal at the end.
Heck you could do the field dinner thing by having it at different wineries, using the local foods and a guest chef.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA