homestead - [Homestead] book question

  • From: clhw AT infoave.net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] book question
  • Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 20:07:23 -0400

To you readers, has anyone read "1491: New Revelations of the Americas
before Columbus", copyright 2005, by Charles C. Mann?

I'm listening to it on tape right now and find it fascinating. Not only is
it a very different picture of the civilizations and their culture in
"mesoAmerica" prior to Columbus, but it also makes much of the development
of maiz and how that revolutionized the diet of peoples around the world.

The mental image I'm having on the part I'm listening to now is mini-farms
covering the Peruvian hillsides where families raised the majority of their
own foods but also participated in a co-operative community.

I'm just wondering what you thought of this book and the archelogical and
agricultural interpretations it presents?