homestead - Re: [Homestead] Local fresh food production stymied by USDA

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Local fresh food production stymied by USDA
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2008 12:55:12 -0800

Am I reading this correctly? The guy is offended that land being used and producing an income won't get a subsidy for something they don't produce? Gee, I'm heartbroken that the owner of the property can't be double dipping!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

I’ve discovered that typically, a farmer who grows the forbidden
fruits and vegetables on corn acreage not only has to give up his
subsidy for the year on that acreage, he is also penalized the market
value of the illicit crop, and runs the risk that those acres will be
permanently ineligible for any subsidies in the future. (The penalties
apply only to fruits and vegetables — if the farmer decides to grow
another commodity crop, or even nothing at all, there’s no problem.)