homestead - [Homestead] Soybeans

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Soybeans
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 22:43:55 -0500

I'm moving toward growing my own grains and fodder. Going to trial
some varieties this year and if they do well save seed for a real
planting next year. I've got seed for Bloody Butcher corn and a couple
of mangels. I'd like to grow some soybeans. I need open pollinated
varieties. I've found a few.

Agate is one offered by seed savers and its pricey seed, but I figure
I may be able to start a few seeds this year and save the crop for
seed.

Does anyone here grow soybeans for dried beans? I see lots of
varieties in the catalogues for endame, but my understanding is that
those varieties are bred for green eating and might not be best for
growing dried.

Anyone here grow soybeans or have a recommendation?

Rob - Va