homestead - Re: [Homestead] RFID horrors

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] RFID horrors
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 16:10:04 -0800

At 1/13/2008 03:47 PM,EarthNSky wrote:
Can anyone (Lynda?) verify this story?
http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/01/11/america/calif.php
--

>>Next year in California, state regulators are likely to have the emergency power to control individual thermostats, sending temperatures up or down through a radio-controlled device that will be required in new or substantially modified houses and buildings to manage electricity shortages<<

Not entirely new. In Minnesota we could have gotten a lower rate if certain appliances (hot water tank & electric stove) were on a program where the utility could cut them off during high use/expensive power buy times. This was voluntary.
Have also had power boxes that would report the monthly usage to the power company (instead of someone reading the meter).

Having the power company set your thermostat really does sound big brotherish, I guess they could ask for volunteers for the program. If you volunteer they bump your thermostat 10ยบ (in high usage times) , if you don't volunteer they turn your power off (in high usage times)<VBG>.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA