homestead - Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...

  • From: clhw AT infoave.net (clhw)
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Forget oil and housing, let's talk about water...
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 19:28:12 -0400

Well, it's been raining here, about 2 to 3 hours east of Bev, for most of a
day. Hard to call it rain: it's more like water is seeping out of the
clouds. But I did have to turn on my windshield wipers for a few minutes on
the way to school this morning. And you can get damp if you stand in it
long enough.

This is the second or third day of this sort of rain in the last two weeks.
The weather man's expectation is for the rain/precipitation to last through
Wednesday, which is 3 days.

The rain barrels we have were nearly filled with the last time of rain, so
more water actually came down than I thought. At least the fire threat is
much less. The grass has greened up so our horses are finding some grazing.
I saw at least 2 long bed trucks today, hauling probably 20 - 25 large,
round bales of hay each. Don't know where they were heading but there are
many bales of hay in the fields around here so the loads were probably
heading to Georgia.

Yesterday's summary said the Greenville weather station, Greenville, SC, is
about 17 inches below normal for the year. Normal annual precipitation is
about 50 inches.