homestead - Re: [Homestead] Blueberries

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Blueberries
  • Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 12:12:14 -0400

A friend and i split an order of 1 year Blueberry plants of mixed types -
we got 100 to share around. I must say that i would agree that they
should have had another year in
a nursery bed, as all of ours really struggled being put right into their
permanent spots at such a tender age. The more mature plants that i had
bought and planted acouple years earlier grew by leaps and bounds
compared to the yearlings. It would have been more worthwhile to have
bought 2 year plants instead - if i had that kind of money at the time.

We have about 25 plants left and growing - hope next year to NOT pinch
off all the blooms and actually get fruits! I allowed myself about 10
berries on the plants just for inspiration - ate them this week and they
were fabulous and sweet!
'Twas a party in my mouth to eat those rare things!

Good luck,
Toni