homestead - [Homestead] Tvo post- backup generator Jul '98

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tvo post- backup generator Jul '98
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2007 19:41:52 -0700

Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 23:28:09 -0400
Sender: owner-homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
From: tvoivozd <tvoivozd AT roanoke.infi.net>
To: homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
Subject: Re: backup generator

Michael_2 Astleford wrote:

> At 18:28 7/1/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >quickly. You might be a lot happier with a generator that runs on
> >propane---real easy to connect if you use propane for heat or cooking..
>
> Can you give a couple of examples of propane based generators that you are
> familiar with?
>
> As a related issue, our neck of the woods gets down into single digits
> during winter - any advantage there over diesel, or worse during cold starts?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Mike

tvoivozhd>>>Back in the 1950's I converted some truck fleets to propane---the
greatly-reduced maintenance costs kept them in business. You can convert any
gasoline engine to run on propane, preferably with a dual-fuel carburetor. I used
a Dix (no longer in business) for dual-fuel, Algas and Beam for propane only, and
Manchester LP tanks. The following URL will give you Algas, Beam and Manchester
addresses---I am unfamiliar with the others. Write them to find out which
ones
sell LP carburetors for domestic engine manufacturers, Kohler, Tecumseh, Briggs,
Onan etc.

Diesel is tough to start in subzero weather---the wax in the fuel tends to
solidify and you need an electric heating element to warm it up. Propane is
already a gas and gasoline isn't, so propane starts easier. Butane has too low a
vapor-pressure to start readily in cold weather.

http://www.rconcepts.com/beard/dragnet/vendors/propane.html

As far as bare generators go, I once owned a factory which supplied the smallest
ones in their line to Newage, a British firm with high quality products. Theirs
and many others are single-bearing quill-mounted, i.e., mount to a tapered-shaft
engine with several sizes of mounting flanges according to horsepower. Don't know
anything about them today, but here is their website.
http://www.newagestamford.com/bcrange.htm
http://www.newagestamford.com/avrs.htm (voltage regulators)

Magnetek is a generator manufacturer, I think of both single and
double-bearing
generators---latter for belt-drives.. Website under construction but has 800
number to call. http://www.magnetekmotors.com/

Check Thomas Register---more info there than on the web.

  • [Homestead] Tvo post- backup generator Jul '98, Rob, 06/06/2007