homestead - Re: [Homestead] Brainstorming about kitchen waste

  • From: "Warren" <mogrits AT gmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Brainstorming about kitchen waste
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 16:44:44 -0400

> > Is there enough available water to wash the particles
> > away.
> > I'm sure that an S trap would be needed unless the
> > outlet is close enough to keep the pipe aerated.
>
> There is unlimited water. While a trap would not be needed--no sewer
> gases in such a system--it would inhibit food particle flow no more
> than in city kitchens, almost all of which use garbage disposal units.

The P-Trap goes after the disposal. And if the line will drain like a normal
waste line it will work fine. I'd definitely want the p-trap to keep all
sorts of "crap" from coming up through the drain. I could see a draft effect
taking place, where your sink would draw the aroma of your compost pile,
chicken house, and waste line directly into your kitchen.

1/4" per foot is the standard fall for waste lines- steeper and the water
runs off leaving the solids, less and it won't drain properly. I might
"flatten" the pipe a little as it passes by the birds to give them a better
chance at catching a bite.

All in all, if logistically feasible it sounds like a great idea.

Warren