homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mulch/ was Solar and wind

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mulch/ was Solar and wind
  • Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 17:32:01 -0700

tonitime AT juno.com wrote:

I'll second that, but with a pretty huge garden - i've no choice but to
use spoiled hay rolls. One thing that helped was the heavy paper layer
below the hay mulch.

I can attest that there's no easier way to remove grass from an area where you want to put a garden. Just a season or two in the dark and the grass is history.

But I've had poor results with leaving mulch on and expecting it to decompose into something useful. The fact is that it just disappeared, presumably taken by critters to make their nests. Maybe I'll try this again in some secure beds.

Ironically I've found the least use for traditional mulch here. There's rarely a need to keep the soil cool, when it's so cold all the time. Intensively planted crops shade their own soil anyway, and a mulch can stop the soil from warming up enough to grow warmth-loving crops, in addition to drawing slugs.

Bill
S. Oregon coast