homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mulch/ was Solar and wind

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mulch/ was Solar and wind
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 20:52:09 -0400

On 3/31/07, tonitime AT juno.com <tonitime AT juno.com> wrote:

I'll second that, but with a pretty huge garden - i've no choice but to
use spoiled hay rolls. One thing that helped was the heavy paper layer
below the hay mulch. Still, both the manures from nearby horse and
cattle farms has introduced a few new and difficult weed pests onto our
farm in abundance - and way too quickly for me to keep up with. I use
solely organic growing methods, and so often wish that i could zap areas
with some roundup or such, but sighhhhh, cannot do it.

Ditto here. Purchased horse manure three years ago and applied it to all the
flower beds and asparagus beds. Ever since it's been Weed City--particulary
bind weed. Previous owners of our farm were a married couple, the wife
certified local farms organic and kept their farm organic as well. We've
kept it that way. I can't stand Monsanto, but there have been times the last
few years (especially last year) when I was ready to pour a gallon or two of
Roundup here and there to get rid of the blankety-blank bind weed. The bind
weed single-handedly nearly destroyed our raspberry patch last year. I don't
know what we'll find this year. The raspberries were the first thing we
planted, the first change we made to our place.

Lisa
sw VA