homestead - [Homestead] Electrostatic motor, electrolysis, etc.

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: Homestead mailing list digest <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Electrostatic motor, electrolysis, etc.
  • Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 07:22:14 -0800

Here's a promising avenue for increasng the efficiency of electric motors (whose efficiency is limited by coil heating):

http://engineering.dartmouth.edu/microeng/courses/es65/images/henning6.gif

Electrolysis has become more interesting once I realized that you can produce more useful stuff at the same time. The oxygen that's also liberated hasn't much use for us, unless we wanted to have a yuppie oxygen bar. As I understand it, if the electolyte is stirred at the anode, the oxygen ions remain, producing hydrogen peroxide (with plain water), or potassium bleach (with potassium chloride added), or chlorate for firepaper and gopher gassers (if the reaction is prolonged). The latter compounds are things I find useful (potassium hypochlorite is for keeping pools fresh without toxifying the water for plants) but cannot get at a reasonable price.

Bill
S. Oregon coast

  • [Homestead] Electrostatic motor, electrolysis, etc., Bill Jones, 02/16/2007