homestead - Re: [Homestead] "Mysterious" hex in periodic table (was: Curveballs)

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] "Mysterious" hex in periodic table (was: Curveballs)
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 16:37:48 -0800

EarthNSky wrote:

Karen L. Black wrote:

I'm not a chemist, but I've had some training along those lines. Besides, a
physicist is supposed to have the 30,000-foot view of chemistry (and all
other sciences), so I'd be happy to take a stab at Bill's questions.

Thanks for stepping up and taking the heat off of me, Karen. I had forgotten that you were a physicist..have I told you lately that I love you??? ;) LOL

I intended the 666 thing as a entertainment for cabin-feverish luddites. It was not a question. But boy, that "vertical neighbors" thing is so DOA! That's what we call a *family* of elements, isn't it?

Now if someone can tell me whether "soluble" means miscible? So a liquid that's _insoluble_ will not mix with water, like oil, right? I suppose it's a stupid question, but I just don't think of as the same thing as dissolving salt, or such. Feel free to answer off-list.

Bill
S. Oregon coast