homestead - Re: [Homestead] Grocery Co-ops

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Grocery Co-ops
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 08:49:41 -0800

At 1/10/2007, you wrote:
ANITA, Iowa - The grocery stores that lined Main Street were always key to the
little farm town of Anita, Iowa.

I grew up in the fifties, not that many miles from there in Missouri. The small town had about 2000 residents but the surrounding area had many more on farms of 300 acres or so. The town square was lined with businesses, a Ben Franklin, Western Auto, IGA, Chevy dealer, bank, NAPA, Rexall, etc. There were three good sized grocery stores in town,six eateries, four taverns, cheese factory, four tractor dealers, etc.

I was there last fall and there is just one grocery store, poorly stocked as it was. Only one tavern, one implement dealer, three eateries. The square had more empty store fronts than full and none of the names were national. Population of the town was still around 2000 but many fewer farmers with a typical farm now closer to 1500 acres. We farmed 250 acres, my cousin now farms 1600.

As we drove around I remember many small gas stations and what would now be called mini marts. These places were where farmers would gather for a cold drink, a bit of gasoline, local news, maybe a roll of bailer wire. Again this last fall as I drove around all of those little places are gone, I could not find a one I remembered from the early sixties.

In the fifties there were many abandoned store fronts in the weeds or along side the road. Even then I had an interest in history and would ask my father about them. He told of small stores where people on horses could shop, get mail, use the telephone and later get a few gallons of gasoline. He told of small blacksmith and repair shops that were there to help a farmer get back in the field after something broke. He also told of dances in upstairs dance halls with local bands making up in noise what they lacked in ability. That all disappeared after the war with better cars, cheaper gasoline, first radio then television.

My uncles ran a welding and Diesel repair shop in an even smaller town. They had all the business they could manage and there competition just down the road. That is all gone and no one in that small town provides those services, you now have to drive 20 miles. I spoke with several people who told me of how in the middle of harvest you could get someone to fix a piece of machinery quickly and now you have to call out an expensive service truck or take the part to town, eating up several hours.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up KI6DIU
http://www.braingarage.com
My travel journal

I am omnivagant.