homestead - Re: [Homestead] Lovin' Your Ranchette: "monthly rainfall" Portland- Google Image Search

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Lovin' Your Ranchette: "monthly rainfall" Portland- Google Image Search
  • Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 11:26:39 -0800

Bottomline is that Bill lives in some delusional lala land. Because it stops raining doesn't mean that pasture stops growing AND you don't have to have green grass for pasture to be good pasture. If that was the case, then you would have to translate that into hay not being any good unless it was green.

In California, sheep and cattle, not generally dairy, and horses grass on non-irrigated pasture 12 months of the year. Intelligent ranchers who have real life experience, unlike the list's resident I know it all from books and the internet, rotate their pastures and know that the wild oat and perrenial rye, etc. make great dry pasture. Of course, they don't try to do this on 1 to 5 acres, nor do they judge how to do it "because my neighbor can't" or "because my neighbor feeds all year." They use what is in front of them and their own experience. Nor do they run down to the county ag office or some chart on the net or the USDA to find out what they can do on their property. They *know* their property.

Plus, they wouldn't have put up a rain fall map of Portland, OK and called it Portland OR! The dimwit's link shows Portland Maine and Portland Oklahoma, not Portland, Oregon!

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw AT chilitech.net>