homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pileated woodpeckers

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pileated woodpeckers
  • Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2006 22:08:33 -0700

Our Jay that thinks he's a parrot is a Pacific. We didn't see any Interiors this year but had a couple of them on our top 3 acres last year. The two big Gray/Digger pines came down in the storm and I think that might have been where they were making their home because we haven't seen/heard them this year.

We have a couple other odd-ball birds. We had a pair of Black-chinned hummers which are rare around here and a single that seems to have decided to stay the winter although he should be a transient. I need to get some pictures developed because we had a "lost" Ruby Throated hummer that came and stayed a couple of months. He was extremely agressive and ran the Anna's and Caliope's off every chance he got. I know every few years one will be sited down in the Bay Area but this is a first up here.

I think we get a lot of unusual birds (Great Blue Heron, Bald Eagles, Golden Eagles, Osprey, Kites and a bunch more) because we are in a micro climate. It is always warmer here than in the rest of the valley (most folks use about 6 cords of wood a winter and we use between 2 and 3) and don't get the really ripping winds that other areas get.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>