homestead - Re: [Homestead] More on Hewlett-Packard

  • From: "Wendy Gulliver" <crazygardens AT verizon.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] More on Hewlett-Packard
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 16:13:38 -0400

Now I'm confused. Back in the 70's, when I was a young tech, I had some old Hewlett test equipment, I had some old Packard test equipment, and I had some Hewlett Packard test equipment. I wonder if HP had made some stuff just under one name or perhaps neither of this old stuff I had was related. In the case of the later, I will retract anything good I ever said about HP, because I loved the old Hewlett stuff.

Wendy

Wendy writes:

Which Mr. Packard was the
Packard that started Packard electronics? They made test equipment like
signal generators and tracers, calibration equipment and the like? This was
back in the day when Hewlett was a solo act and made some of the best
electrometers, differential chart recorders and other precision equipment
available. I've used some of each.
**************************************

Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard started HP shortly after finishing grad school
at Stanford. Their first product, an audio oscillator, was used by Disney in
making Fantasia. To the best of my knowlege, neither was a solo act.
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hewlett-packard)

It is a shame that the computers and peripherals that bear the HP label are
not up to the same standards as their old instrumentation and calculator
lines. I still have a 41C, which has served me well for many years. There
is, indeed, no equal!

Karen Black
Blodgett, OR