homestead - [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: Set and forget woodlot, orchard income

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: Set and forget woodlot, orchard income
  • Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 19:43:48 -0700

Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 12:01:39 -0700
From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT infionline.net>
Subject: Re: Set and forget woodlot, orchard income
Gene GeRue wrote:

>>You're lazy, let hogs do the harvesting (after the trees are bit
>>enough so rooting by hogs is unlikely).
>

>My Chinese Chestnut, which has grown wonderfully in the 19 years
>since I planted it, has nasty, prickly coverings on the nuts that
>sometimes opens nicely so nuts can be gathered, sometimes not so
>nicely, but until removed, create a no-walk area that the dogs
>detour around. Are the 15/16ths trees similar in husk features? Hogs
>are tough creatures and likely won't care, but if gathering nuts for
>income is part of the plan, this is a factor.
>
>Btw, I have raked the nasty husks and put them where predators
>squeeze under the fenced chicken run, successfully keeping out
>various critters and Benny, the Aussie, who lusts for the chicken
>bones that get thrown into the chicken yard along with kitchen scraps.

tvoivozhd---the rare American chestnut that matures around here
before the tree dies back produces less prickly husks than the
porcupine-spined Chinese chestnuts---nine have just started bearing
them about fourteen years after planting. I put them in as a stopgap
until blight-ffee seedlings are available from ACF.

Deer don't care any more about husk-spines than hogs---they rummage
constantly under Chinese chestnut trees, looks like they carried a
vacuum cleaner with them in late night or early morning raids.

  • [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: Set and forget woodlot, orchard income, Rob, 10/13/2006