homestead - Re: [Homestead] Dax

  • From: "Gloria Morris" <gloriamorris59 AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Dax
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 09:15:40 -0500

Oh, Gene, my sympathies. They never live long enough, our dear four-legged
friends.

Animals grieve too. I've done it both ways, with the animal just
"disappearing" and with putting the animal down on my place. It is hard on
the survivors both ways. But I think it is hardest when the death and burial
are right in front of them. When my mare Pepper saw our old pony gelding
Cinnamon being placed in a freshly dug grave by a front end loader, Pepper
screamed, reared, and galloped around frantically, trying to get to
Cinnamon. It was pretty awful for all of us, including Pepper. It might be a
little easier on everyone if Ole Dax just disappears one day. When you bury
him, he could be wrapped in a blanket so that Benny won't have to see Dax's
body dropped into a hole. After all, when left to their own devices, many
old dogs will leave home to die. I had an old dog who never left our place
in his younger years try to leave twice in the days before his death. We
found him with the help of neighbors. It may seem natural to Benny if Dax
disappears that way.

Hugs,

Gloria