homestead - [Homestead] Tvo post- Hydro power- June 1999

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tvo post- Hydro power- June 1999
  • Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2006 09:16:03 -0700

Date: Wed, 02 Jun 1999 14:51:03 -0400
Sender: owner-homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT roanoke.infi.net>
To: homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
Subject: Re: Hydro power for Astroweezil (some anyway)

Astroweezil wrote:

> A few months ago, someone (Tvo??) posted a url for a hydropower setup that
> a fella made, complete with pics and diagram. This is just what I needed,
> but my computer crashed and I couldn't find it on a web search. Does
> anyone have this? Help appreciated!
>
> Elyse

>>>tvoivozhd---I packed away most of the e-mail files three or four weeks back
in floppies. Unfortunately I have no program for properly filing or searching
floppy content. But the following may be of some help---stuff still in
download files on the hard disk.

"Independent Power Developers, Ind. Rt. 3, Box 174H, Sandpoint, Idaho,
83864 manufactures a 4 inch Pelton wheel. The turbine is directly coupled
to a 32 volt dc generator which can produce up to 2000 watts or about 1400
KWH per month. The turbine-generator set sold for about $1000, while a
complete installation with turbine, generator, batteries, inverter, and pipe
ran about $5000."
Another manufacturer of Pelton Wheels is Small Hydroelectric Systems &
Equipment (15220 S. R. 530, Arlington, Washington 98223). The have been
producing 4.5, 9, and f18 inch wheels designed for outputs from a few
hundred watts to 50,000 Watts.

Other sources of Pelton wheels include Alaska Wind & Water Power (P.O. Box
G, Chugiak, Alaska 99567); Pumps, Pipe and Power (Kingston Village, Austin,
Nevada 89310); and Elektro GmbH (St. Gallerstrasse 27, Winterhur,
Switzerland).

James Leffel and Company (Springfield Ohio, 45501) has been manufacturing
reaction turbines since 1862. Their Hoppes Hydroelectric System is well
suited to low-power applications.

There is a miniturbine available from Canyon Industries (5346 Mosquito Lake
Road, Deming, Wyoming, 98244), called the Hydromite, it will produce 150 to
700 watts with flows of 30 to 40 cfm on modest heads of 15 to 34 feet. The
turbine cost less than $500.

Other sources of reaction turbines include G&A Associates (233 Katonah
Ave., Katonah, NY 10536); Barber Hydraulic Turbines Ltd (Barber Point, P.O.
Box 340, Prot Colborne, Ontario, Canada, L3K5W1); Jyoti ltd. (R.C. Dutt Rd,
Baroda---390 005, India); and land and Lesiure Services, Inc. (Priory Lane,
St. Thomas, Launceston, Cornwall, England).

Also, try Ossberger-Turbinenfabrik D-8832 Weissenberg i. Bay, P.O. Box 425
Bayern, Germany which manufactured the Michell (Banki) cross flow turbine.
They had units producing from 8.5 KW up to 220 KW and they built each unit
in accordance with the local conditions.

>>>tvoivozhd--and some very useful, some unrelated (hydraulic rams, bash valve
engines etc. in with the hydro topics):

From:
4/26/99 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: Fwd - Re: Hydroelectric
RAMS!!To: michael kent barnett <dreadlox AT cwjamaica.com>

michael kent barnett wrote:

> Isnt it amazing how small the world is when your hooked up on the web? H
> Hi there, I sked for the EXACT info on another newsgroup
> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
>
> Will even possible end up trying something like your Savonius rotor
> idea, down on the beach. One piece of our land has a spring with a 900m
> dropoff, anyone able to recommend any micro hydro power turbines?
>
> Also, I can get a few old lawnmower engines. Has anyone ever tried
> converting a lawnmower engine to steam......??

>>>tvoivozhd---you can. The Steam Outlet has a catalog of plans and
equipment, one
of which uses a four-stroke one-cylinder engine. The engine is easy,
boilers a little
more complicated, plus feed valves, cutoff valves, lubricators, separators
and the
other steam complications. P.O. Box 1426, Thonotosassa, Florida 33592.

A two-stroke engine is easy to run on steam, and somewhere around here I
might have
plans on a steam outboard engine---I know I have that in my dead hard-drive.
http://firedragon.com/~kap/bashvalve.html

A little sideroad---making your own used one-lung engine-generator
http://theepicenter.com/tow02077.html

Heat your bath with a roof-collector and run a Stirling generator off it at
the same
time.
http://www.solarenergypowerplant.com/

Cheap Dancas windpump---make your own diaphragm pump for it---or a submerged
propellor
pump.
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/1286/sustainp.html#Wind Pump

A really-low head ram pump. Plans $8.00. Gang them for more volume. Will
work on
less than one-foot head. http://www.HostMasters.Net/pearson/lhhrsale.htm

A variable-pitch analog of a Savonius---and a lot more efficient.
http://www.maths.adelaide.edu.au/Applied/llazausk/aero/wind/vawt/vawt.htm

Harris, a little hydro, four nozzles are better than one.
http://energyoutfitters.com/harris.htm

Converting a Wankel gas engine to steam.
http://www.greenhills.net/~apatter/wankel.html

> Anyone got a good workable drawing for a RAM pump?
>
> Thanks to all the non techies for their patience....
>
> :)
> Mike.
> ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
>
> and was sent this info.(your mail.) I am especially interested in
> getting some diagrams of a self built RAM pump. Can you help? I hope I
> am not intruding in some longstanding thread here?? :)
> I am signing up for the homested group too... look out for me...
>
> thanks, Mike from the sunny isles....

>>>tvoivozhd---yeah, I used to be on a half dozen agriculture, energy,
architectural,
building groups, but the volume got pretty insane. Also my hard drive---and
at the
same time the backup died, so some very extensive and irreplaceable data was
lost. I
monitor the aquaponics list, but don't dip in hardly ever.

Savonius Rotor: They work, but there is only one commercial producer in the
world---a
Japanese firm. There is an improved German one employing a wind-enhancer,
but it
isn't and probably never will be in production---too expensive for results.

The efficiency is low and because they are at ground-level even good
upper-level winds
are lost through ground-friction. They will however, develop sufficient
torque to
pump water quite well, though a low-mass fabric version will work in two to
three mph
wind, whereas a split-barrel version will not---too much inertia.

I think Chris Hedemark still has a cone-Savonius on his website:
<http://www.yonderway.com/rural/ AT roanoke.infi.net>

Most Savonius books are out of print, but can be found sometimes at the
used-book
websites, or through interlibrary loan. One is Wind and Windspinners by
Michael
Hackleman which gives fairly detailed drawings and text on building a
stacked-Savonius.

Brace Research Institute, Macdonald College of McGill University, 800 St.
Anne de
Bellevue, Quebec, HOA ICO, Canada published design and performance data,
which may
still be available.

VITA (Volunteers in Technical Assistance) has both Savonius and hydraulic
ram plans
http://www.vita.org/publications/refpub/

Jemmett Engineering has plans for many useful things, including several
Savonius
systems.
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/jemmett/#introduction

Appropriate Technology Index is the best single collection of books and
pamplets
relating to windpower, waterpower, pumps and a wild variety of other highly
useful
things. You will find Savonius, Darrieus, HAWTS, hydraulic rams,
waterwheels, all
sorts of pumps.
http://www.oneworld.org/itdg/journals/atindex.html

Home Power Magazine has free pdf archives on back issues of solar, water,
windpower---and CDROM's easier and quicker to use. Probably has a half dozen
examples of homemade hydropower systems. http://www.homepower.com

If you have access to back issues of Mother Earth, there is at least one
article on how to make Pelton wheels, and a couple good ones on improved,
simple overshot wheels.

High-lifter pump on minimum flow streams
http://www.alt-energy.com/catalog/waterpoweredpumps.html
The Penren book, plans on seven windmills and pumps
http://www.oncomdis.on.ca/windmills/

Lifewater---most extensive website on water, well-drilling, pumps (manual,
wind,
wheel, hydro, ram), books on how to design and make them..
http://www.lifewater.ca/ndexman.htm

Couple more books out of print or from interlibrary loan. Mother Earth News
Handbook
of Homemade Power and Producing Your Own Power, edited by Carol Hupping
Stoner ISBN
0-394-71440-7. Both have windpower and waterpower sections.

If you have access to old Organic Gardening magazines and Mother Earth News,
I can
look up issues containing hydraulic ram plans (one made of concrete) using
off-the
shelf pipe parts, either steel or plastic. I don't recommend the plastic
ones, and
there are several windpump designs, also including a Savonius.

>>>tvoivozhd---and some URL's, links:

http://wlake.com/morehead/links.html

http://www.mayabooks.ndirect.co.uk/renewable.html (U.K. Mayabooks--on
microhydro turbines, waterwheels, using induction motors as generators,
Piggott on practical windpower)
http://www.nopowernoproblem.com/Wind%20Maps.html (windmaps)
http://www.nopowernoproblem.com/SYSTEM%20SIZING%20WORKSHEET.html (system
sizing worksheet---available from many solar, windpower dealers)
http://www.independent-power.com/small_hydro1.html (microhydro components,
"Lil Otto" and rest of small system)
http://hgea01.hgea.org/~daver/hydropg1.htm#HYDP1TOP (dave rezachek page on
hydro etc.)
http://www.pactok.net.au/docs/apace/mhelect.htm (diagram of microhydro)
http://www.powerflow.co.nz/inductio.htm (induction motor load controller---if
you use motor for generator)

http://www.itc.nl/~klunne/hydro/link.html (microhydro links by Wm.
Klunne---very good, extensive, inc. the McMillian domestic small head site and
system)

http://home1.swipnet.se/~w-19094/hyd_link.htm (Lennart Helgesson, Swedish
microhydro links)
http://www.rpc.com.au/hydro.html (the Rainbow micro Pelton generator)
http://www.firehorse.com.au/qdc/energy/hydrolec.html (good aussie microhydro
site with pictures of high, medium, low head equipment)
http://www.greenenergy.com/NESL_web/pdfcat.htm (Nor'wester catalog
microhydro, PDF format
http://orakel.srd.utwente.nl/~wot/water/hydro.htm (Dutch site with diagram,
plans for microhydro, rams)
http://cedrl.mets.nrcan.gc.ca/e/412/retscreen/retscreen_smallhydro_project_e.html
(larger hydro, planning, tables, diagrams)
http://www.malibuclub.com/friend/capproj/smallhy.htm (picture of Malibu 15kw
hydro system with five year payback, running winter season only)
http://starfire.ne.uiuc.edu/~ne201/1996/schoenau/intro~1.html (picture of big
overshot wheel, and sections including Pelton, Turgo, Crossflow, Francis
http://www.cat.org.uk/ (The CAT website---see ATA Publications section)
http://www.wigloo.com/science/htwooh/ (Pat Blair microhydro low head $1850)
http://www.sourceguides.com/energy/businesses/byB/mfg/byP/hydro/microhydroturbine/microhydroturbine.html

(list of microhydro turbine manufacturers)
http://www.sourceguides.com/energy/businesses/byP/hydro/mHG/byB/mfg/mfg.html
(list of microhydro system components)
http://www.sourceguides.com/energy/businesses/byP/hydro/mHG/mHG.html (list of
complete microhydro system manufacturers)
http://www.jademountain.com/hydro.html (jade mountain Harris and Stream
Engine microhydros)

  • [Homestead] Tvo post- Hydro power- June 1999, Rob, 09/04/2006