homestead - Re: [Homestead] Questions about bell peppers

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Questions about bell peppers
  • Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 09:55:31 -0700

Unless you are going to get some real heavy frosts, take some PVC and heavy plastic (you can buy it by the yard at fabric stores and it is heavier and won't tear) and build it a little hot house of its own.

We do it to start plants early and they are light weight and you can lift it off during warm days and put it back as it is needed.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Clarke" <hstead AT nc.rr.com>

Hello Folks,

I have a question that I hope that the collective knowledge of the
FrugalRural and Homestead groups will be able to share with me. I have
ONE bell pepper plant. It has done very well this year. I've had about
5 fruits which I've harvested, one all the way to completely (red) ripe.
We had that killer heat wave and my plant, perhaps not unsurprisingly,
flourished. I had oddles of flowers and most of have set. I probably
have now close to 15 new peppers on the plant. My question is we are
probably about 8 weeks until the end of the growing season around here,
certainly not much longer than that for truly hot growing weather. How
can get these fruits to grow over that period of time? More water? Any
minerals? This is potted plant, in a very large pot (maybe 20 gallon?).

  • Re: [Homestead] Questions about bell peppers, Lynda, 08/18/2006