homestead - Re: [Homestead] Housing bubble fizzle

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Housing bubble fizzle
  • Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2006 08:42:02 EDT

> _Observed that the once high-flying housing market appears to be
> experiencing a safe landing. "The downturn in the housing market so
> far appears to be orderly," he said."

What would you have expected him to say? Under any circumstances?

"This is Bernake, Fed Chairman, and my message today is: Ahhhhh w'er all
going to die! Chaos in the street, pestilence and destruction!"

What the Fed Chairman says and reality don't necessarily have all that much
to do with one another.

Now I am keeping in mind your saw about housing characteristics being local,
local, local. But how would you interpret this: here abouts we went from
the
having one house in probably eleven having a 'for sale' sign to two in eleven
(just from eyeballing from driving by). That could still qualify as a 'safe
landing' I suppose. BUT every vacant lot and acreage, even places you
would't
imagine there was land for sale, every one of those has a 'for sale' sign.
It is amazing to behold. It seems that within a period of no more than two
months everyone who's been holding onto a lot is trying to sell it.

I''ve got my own ideas, having to do with the expectation of "investors", but
what clue would that give you?