homestead - Re: [Homestead] books

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] books
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2006 10:08:12 -0700 (PDT)

I believe the rice is started in wet paddies. One
thing they do is start the seedlings in a very dense
wet paddy and then transplant the seedlings into the
field. The field doesn't stay wet the whole time. I
think that is what happens.
With rice and a lot of other crops they often double
crop. When the plants are near harvest and requiring
less nutrients they they plant something else between
the rows while the something else is seedlings and
doesn't require full nutrients. Can you follow that
explanation?????
Of course that is very labor intensive. No self
propelled combines harvesting that rice.
I expect that rice or other grains further north were
most of their diet. The other crops for a little
variety and sold for cash.
Van Dell