homestead - Re: [Homestead] They'll do it every time

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] They'll do it every time
  • Date: Thu, 06 Jul 2006 09:29:38 -0500

"The USDA is now drafting a proposed rule that will likely come out this
fall, and there will be another comment period, spokeswoman Joan Shaffer said.Horizon supports the key proposal, which would require that organic cows spend at least 120 days a year on pasture, Scalzo said.Aurora opposes that standard as unscientific and told the USDA eastern Colorado gets only about 45 to 60 days of significant edible grass per year."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13581446/

Musing on my belief that food is best produced locally, I must contemplate that far northern locales must then refrain from drinking milk in its fresh form unless a procedure is developed by which milk for human consumption may be taken from polar bears.

The modern dairy operation is repugnant. The cows are a nuisance tolerated because they are essential. Food in this end, crap out the other end, milk from the middle. More, more, more of each. Keeping the three products isolated is a constant challenge. If consumers could see the conditions they might refrain from drinking. Reminds me of the interview of Michael Pollan I posted yesterday wherein he talks of the slaughterhouse strain to keep feces-full outsides of beef animals from contacting the juicy insides that will soon gleam red under meat counter plastic. The red color, of course, due to carbon monoxide.