homestead - [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: walls done; now on to the floor! Jun '98

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: walls done; now on to the floor! Jun '98
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2006 07:56:10 -0700

Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 16:49:29 -0400
Sender: owner-homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
From: tvoivozd <tvoivozd AT roanoke.infi.net>
To: homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
Subject: Re: walls done; now on to the floor!

Daniel Lee Settles wrote:

> On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Sutton-III, James M wrote:
>
> > Any other flooring alternatives ideas? I've laid
> > both tile and stone floors before...but they
> > took a *long* time to lay, and the materials
> >cost was fairly high...thus violating 2 of my
> > criteria, and falling off my "options" list.
>
> My latest (and last?) idea for our future house is to use a brick floor.
> First we lay down the tubing for the radiant floor, and cover it with
> several inches of sand. Then place brick pavers down in some pleasing
> pattern on the leveled sand. Throw some sand over the top and sweep it
> around to fill in the cracks. Walk, jump and run on the floor for several
> weeks to let everything settle and then apply a few coats of polyurethane
> to seal it all. The floor is easy to put in, has good thermal mass,
> should last almost forever, and meets the Tvo anti-jackhammer test. I
> haven't checked the price, but I imagine it depends on where you get your
> bricks. Should be substantailly cheaper than the tile floor.
>
> Dan Settles

tvoivozhd>>>sounds all right to me. One of the best and probably still around
builders in Florida---woman named Dixie Lee, did this in her numerous duplex
compounds. Varied it a little, laid the bricks or pavers in sand, swept dry
mortar-mix in the joints, misted them and after they set up, sealed them with
polyurethane.

Here's a good paver supplier: http://home.earthlink.net/~themfg/

  • [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: walls done; now on to the floor! Jun '98, Rob, 06/18/2006