homestead - Re: [Homestead] Compost versus mulch was Organic and us

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Compost versus mulch was Organic and us
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:45:38 -0400

Hi Marie and the List!
I have a friend that does this in hotbeds. She puts the
hot/fresh/uncomposted manure underneath a bed for starts and tops with
local soil mixed with compost. The root systems begin well above the hot
stuff, but are heated by the decomposition. After spring use, the manure
and the topsoil are then moved atop other beds........thatsa lotsa earth
moving, but serves her well.
I sure want to thank both Ray and Marie for writing me offlist about
the character of the posts over time. I didn't drop offlist, but cruised
along and now see wonderful sharing of info.....thanks!! i am enjoying
this turn of the tide and thank all here for their good input!
Toni ( ex-CA'n moved to KY Appalachia and sooooo glad to be here)
Clifty Gardens
E KY

"I only wish I knew how he did it with out burning off the seedlings."
Marie

  • Re: [Homestead] Compost versus mulch was Organic and us, tonitime, 06/14/2006