homestead - [Homestead] Garden stuff

  • From: Bevanron <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Garden stuff
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 18:30:36 -0400

We had a nice summer shower a few minutes ago, just enough to make the
humidity even more miserable, but everything is nice and green and I
love the smell of the woods after(and during) a rain! My new water
catchment tank is about 1/3 full after the shower.
I went out to check on my chicks and they are all doing fine.
On the way back, I passed the plum tree-it's a Methley that I planted 7
years ago- and it looks like the deer and birds have beaten me to the
punch again. I was able to bring in a 5 or 6 quarts-just enough for a
good snack-if you like plums the way I do. I knewit inside the garden fence,
but at least it keeps the deer moving
through the area.
There's no sign of snakes in the barn as the hens are starting to lay
again (5 eggs from 6 layers) so I hope to build up my supply and then
once again try to get a hen to go broody. The unknown critter(probable
loose domestic ferret) that has frequented my barn since last November
is no where to be seen. I haven't seen tracks in about 4 days now.
Perhaps he was eaten by something...perhaps he was the bigger egg
thief....I don't know...I may never know...I just know that I haven't
seen tracks in 4 days and I am finding 4 to 6 eggs a day instead of the
2 to 4 eggs I was getting a few weeks ago.
My okra is knee high now, and the corn is about 5 feet high. I have
vines covered in cherry tomatoes, and potato vines hanging out of the
tops of my tire stacks(5 tires high) Watermelons are putting out
runners, the cucumber plant (just one) is finally kicking into gear, and
the squash bed looks like it belongs in a tropical rain forest. Can
anyone tell me how long a spaghetti squash will keep? I must have 30
spaghetti squashes on one vine. They are everywhere I look and I have
to move them out of the way to pick other squashes.
I pulled out the broccoli and other cole/spring crops and replanted
green beans in my raised beds. I had to harvest the cabbage early so I
have about 7 heads slightly larger than a baseball and 4 or 5 regular
sized ones. Tomorrow night is corned beef and cabbage night! I'll
dig some new potatoes tomorrow and boil them up, too.
Last Friday, I think it was, I developed a new recipe that I call
"squash brownies". It turned out pretty good-a bit too sweet for my
tastes, but our weekend company didn't complain. :)
Just in case anyone else is looking for something new to try with their
squash, I'll post the recipe:

Bev's Squash Brownies

1 heaping cup grated yellow summer squash...I used crookneck and two
different types of patty pans
3/4 c sugar....I plan to reduce this amount next time
2 large eggs
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 c chopped pecans
1/2 c all purpose flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder

Beat egg and sugar and add vanilla then dry ingredients. Mix in squash
and nuts until evenly distributed. Grease 8" square pan and pour in
batter. Bake for 40 minutes at 325 degrees or until toothpick comes out
clean.
I made 3 batches last week and froze one. We ate it on Sunday...these
things are pretty addictive, especially with whipped cream on top. :)
You can tweak the recipe as desired.

Bev

--
erthnsky AT bellsouth.net BevanRon of EarthNSky Farm NW Georgia USDA Zone 7
34.498N 85.076W