homestead - Re: [Homestead] organic marketing

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] organic marketing
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2006 06:41:08 -0700

At 6/3/2006 06:23 AM,Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Don't forget, too, that you can sell up to $5000 in produce a year and label
it 'organic' without the licensing and bureaucracy. States and localities are
not allowed to have stricter rules than the USDA rules.

I suspect with the amount of traffic the Olympia market gets and the prices the farmers there get, they go past the $5k mark.

The farmers' market led to a much more brisk trade of us making delivery
rounds on a regular basis. But, shades of things to come, being located far
enough away from towns to have enough farm land, the cost of motor fuel to make
the rounds went over the limit and it is no longer profitable (i.e. people
aren't willing to pay that much extra) and our time is better spent on other
cottage industries.

With fuel (out here) over $3/gallon delivery costs could price things out of reach for delivery. The location of the market in Olympia is part of the draw.
As the cost of transportation keeps rising there will be changes in how things are done.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA