homestead - [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: No Tillage, May '98 (livestock plan)

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: No Tillage, May '98 (livestock plan)
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 07:57:58 -0800

Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 18:11:49 -0400
Sender: owner-homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
From: tvoivozd <tvoivozd AT roanoke.infi.net>
To: homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
Subject: Re: No Tillage

FranksFarm wrote:

> But the amount of labor required for commercial scale operations is beyond
> most small scale farmers...that's why most such operations seem to have a
> complement of specialized machinery matched to their needs.
> Believe me I'd rather keep machinery use and investment small!
> The problem is I need to find a way for the property/farm to pay for itself,
> and sustain us in a modest, simple lifestyle with our killing us(BG).
>
> I'm trying to work out a plan to plant alternative type plants and crops not
> widely grown, and yet in sufficient quantity for sale to processors,
> wholesalers etc.
> For me the concepts of multi-use , edible landscaping, polyculture, forest
> farming etc. are all systems I hope to employ. Sure it will take time, but one
> must be patient, and build one stone at a time.
>
> Seems many of us are trying to do the right thing. But like Lynn said we need
> detailed accounts of how people we admire, and want to imitate are actually
> accomplishing these things. Thus we can all benefit by sharing our findings
> and failures.
>
> I know many successful organic growers who have quite a complement of
> machines. And so I feel torn between my aversion to the use of too much iron,
> and my limited available labor. Look forward to your comments . Best wishes
> to all. frank

tvoivozhd>>>the best known large-scale, one-man (and enormously successful)
no-iron operation is Gordon Hazard's 1500 to 2500 head cattle operation in
Mississippi. He has no employees whatsoever, and his sole piece of iron is a
pickup truck. (I think he must have a portable corral and loading chute but maybe
he hires that too) He uses contractors to haul his cattle and install fence. At
last count he does absolutely nothing in the way of liming or fertilizer.

Until the past couple years he operated exclusively on leased land and of course
had to have access to a lot of it, though the long growing season in Mississippi
reduces the amount necessary vis-a-vis most other states.

The costs of running grass-fed beef cattle are few, are well-known, are
controllable, easy to project, and you can lock-in a profit by selling futures
contracts (if you have a lot of cattle---otherwise it is an uncertain gamble).

Other products usually depend more heavily upon retail marketing skills, marketing
practices and learning less familiar tree-crop/shrub-crop permaculture.

Now that traditional slavery has fallen out of fashion, and where all or most
income must derive from farm agricultural pursuits(not intellectual property
administered from a farm-office, or product-line from a workshop as farm-factory),
mechanical slaves are about the only real economic option.

To minimize an unavoidably heavy initial cost and contract the period without
income between planting and first harvest, preparation has to be large-scale and
moving very fast. That means heavy iron. It is possible to resell
preparation
iron after its necessity is past. Except in something like citrus groves where it
is common for a prime contractor to perform all necessary operations for the
grove-owner), the crop maintenance and harvesting iron may always be with you.

The sole alternative to too-expensive, sometimes impossible-to-obtain labor,
or
very-expensive maintenance and harvesting machinery is to eliminate manual and
machine crop maintenance, eliminate manual and machine harvesting, and harvest
with hogs who don't care if there are worms in their lunch.

There are pro's and con's to that too (more pro's in my opinion, not many
employees will work day and night, no vacations, no stock options and with a
pretty murderous retirement plan)---when the mulberries, chestnuts, honey locust
pods and acorns are all eaten and if none have been stored, the hogs must be sold
quickly.

Though they are certainly trying hard, so far the giant hog-factory/packer cartels
have not made it impossible for small producers to sell hogs at wholesale, and of
course even if they succeed there is the option of successfully competing with
them at the supermarket counter in the organic foods section, or in route sales to
high rise apartment buildings, retirement homes etc.

There is the Joel Salatin model for small-scale meat production and retail sale,
and the larger scale and very successful Laura's Lean Beef found in numerous East
Coast supermarket meat counters.
http://www.laurasleanbeef.com/

  • [Homestead] Tvo post- Re: No Tillage, May '98 (livestock plan), Rob, 02/26/2006