homestead - [Homestead] Tvo post- The OneBone Mixer, April 01

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tvo post- The OneBone Mixer, April 01
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 07:55:15 -0800

From: "tvoivozhd" <tvoivozd AT infi.net>
Subject: The OneBone Mixer
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 17:38:45 -0700

The tentacles of the Catawba Primate Lab reach into every possible crevice
to monitor the fluctuating sanity of H. Crow and the Beerlord at the Zanoni
Ziggurat.

The latter appears to be in uninterrupted decline, but ole OneBone has come
up with a mixer for your small batches of ferroconcrete that indicates his
malady may be in temporary remission.

I'll repost it from the ferrocement list, so you don't have to wrestle him
to the ground for the address.

>For my money, consider your approach the way to get a premixed and measured
>charge in a bucket, then mix it with Onebone's mixer. The one problem
that
>I saw with that was that it probably wouldn't homogenize layered components
>well. He developed and used it for premix, so that wasn't a concern for
>him. Your scheme effectively disposes of the problem.
>
>kb

Trust me; the Onebone mixer handles stratified stuff
very well. Consider what happens: the bottom, 11 inch
bar is a close fit in the corner of the bucket, so it
keeps the stuff from coking up in the corner by sweeping
it with every revolution. Everything in the bucket
starts to rotate, but at different speeds, due to
several obvious reasons. Centrifugal force throws the
mix outward at the bottom, driven by the impeller.
When the mix gets to the wall, it has to go SOMEWHERE
because more stuff is coming in behind, driven by the
impeller. The only direction available is UP, so it
climbs the wall, then falls in toward the center, and
goes thru again.

I want to say a couple of things again: the impeller
measures 1/4 X 1 X 11 (or just a hair less than the
diameter of the mixing vessel). Bigger will not be
better! This is just about right for the 300 RPM of
the Hole Hawg, altho lower RPM would be better.

The other impeller blade may or may not be in the
mix, but needs to be there, at 90 degrees to the
lower blade, to keep the lower blade centered in the
bucket. The shaft is 1/2 allthread, which makes
assembly easy. Nuts are used on the shaft to lock the
impellers in postion.

It will mix a half-bucket (as much as I care to carry)
it eight to ten seconds, and I assure you, it doesn't
give a damn about stratification.

Regards,
Onebone

  • [Homestead] Tvo post- The OneBone Mixer, April 01, Rob, 02/26/2006