homestead - Re: [Homestead] Bandsaw Mills

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Bandsaw Mills
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 20:55:54 -0800

At 2/12/2006, you wrote:

I don't know of any. If I hear of any I will holler. How much financial
pain are you willing to endure?

That is a difficult question to answer. My plan is to look around, get as much information as I can including representative prices then use that as one of many criteria. In short the answer is as little as I can get away with and still have something approximating what I want.

There is someone up just north of the Lake of the Ozarks that is trying to get me to look at some property with gravel road access near power, 2 acres, $5000. Then there is that 10 acre piece near the big bend of Texas for $1000, dirt road, no power, no water, no trees. $7000 would get an acre in the mountains near Asheville, no power, no road, steep slope.

The thought of having you close by reminds me of my teen dream of owning a
thousand acres and having four or five friends all living close by, each of
us contributing different skills and experience. Fifty-four years later, it
still makes sense to me to share expensive equipment.

Let's see, what would I contribute. Stick, wire, and gas welding outfits. Forge, anvil, pedal grinder, leg vise. 6 hp air compressor, Delta Unisaw, 14 in bandsaw, 6 in jointer, 12 in planer, Lathe, drill press, portable air compressor, pressure washer. And at last count 10 tool boxes. An 8 by 20 storage shed packed. Troy bilt rear tine tiller, little crawler, 18 ft tandem trailer, 27 foot travel trailer, and when I move a 24 foot straight truck.

I figure when I find a place, build secure storage, minimal shop, trailer parking, and get moved I will have to drop into frugal mode.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up
http://www.braingarage.com

My travel journal