homestead - Re: [Homestead] 2005, Good Year for Biotech Foods

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] 2005, Good Year for Biotech Foods
  • Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 07:38:50 EST

> a handful of corporations whose goal is global domination of food.

Goal, do we think? A done deal by this time. Even now a very few
corporations already dominate world food.

A sidebar news story of a few days ago told how a survey among teens and
young adults to identify the main ingredient in French fries yielded 20%
correct
answers with a larger percent of the querents not actually sure what a potato
looked like. The western diet is so far removed from the source of real food
that the corporations needn't rely on plant patents, who would know what to
do
with corn and soybeans even if they had them? This situation is very fast
being exported to the rest of the world.

Here in this isolated mountain hollow the OP corn I've grown from saved seed
for many years now is relatively safe. The distance and mountain ridges
thwart any stray pollen from invading and I set back a reserve of seed each
year on
a rotating basis in case I ever need to chuck the current year's seed. But
places like this are the most insignificant drop in the endless sea of
acreage
needed to feed the world.

Biotech foods, alas, already have domination. The prospects for otherwise
seem grim.