homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Feb 99, Re: Gardening...was Re: Kentucky

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tvo post Feb 99, Re: Gardening...was Re: Kentucky
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:08:32 -0600

> The neatest thing I saw in the book was called the Circle of Cages.
> Basically, you dig a pit, 1 foot wide and 2 feet deep in the garden and
> add fish emulsion, compost, manure, bone meal, grass clippings and
> additional manure and compost to bring it back up to ground level. Then you move out 6 inches and dig a 6 in wide and 9 in deep watering trench

Circle gardening can be highly productive. I avoid it in all forms in most places because it is more difficult to keep the grass-weeds mowed short around a circle than around a long rectangle. An exception is that I plant some things, like peppers, around young trees a couple hundred feet from the main garden to avoid cross pollination. Mowing around trees is already inefficient so the larger plant circle doesn't take any more time to mow around.