homestead - [Homestead] Tvo post Feb 1999, Re: FW: Fenceposts in rock, low-cost (temporary?) animal shelter.

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tvo post Feb 1999, Re: FW: Fenceposts in rock, low-cost (temporary?) animal shelter.
  • Date: Sun, 08 Jan 2006 08:17:56 -0800

Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 10:59:53 -0500
Sender: owner-homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu
From: Tvoivozhd <tvoivozd AT roanoke.infi.net>
To: homestead AT listserv.oit.unc.edu

Karen Black wrote:

> Tvoivozhd wrote:
>
> > I need to put in some corner posts, some line posts in bedrock. My
> > neighbor tried it with his posthole digger and tore all the carbide
> > teeth out of it---no point in repeating his experience, so-o-o.
>
> Joel Salatin mentioned in _You Can Farm_ that his father made portable post
> holders by filling old tires with concrete and setting two metal pipes in -
> one vertical, one at 15 degrees from vertical. These were for electric
> fencing, so the strain on them wasn't too great.
>
> Karen Black
> Blodgett, OR

>>>tvoivozhd: That could be a good idea where you might have to move them
occasionally (roll them on and off a platform mounted on the tractor
three-point lift)---at least for lineposts, and they would probably be stable
enough even for electrical crossfencing endposts where the location coincided
with usual paddocks for intensive grazing, stockpiling grass etc.

I think I would use 5/8" to 1" fiberglas posts though (from Kencove) in the
concreted tires. You have to paint them the second and subsequent years to
keep the fiberglas slivers from tearing up your hands, but I prefer fiberglass
to rebar or steel posts since the electrical wire never shorts out against
them.

With a single 17 gage wire and for cows I don't have any trouble with the
feeble wire tension that temporary 3/8" fiberglass endposts exert, but calves
occasionally go through and going in or out, partially uproot one or both
endposts, dropping the wire sufficiently to admit the cows.

All my future fencing will be high-tensile electric so I can do it once and
forget it. I'm tired of replacing the poor quality 17 gage galvanized,
aluminum wire invites deer to destroy the fence twice a week, but two or three
strands of high tensile gives them something to think about, since they can't
break it. They don't seem to jump over two or three strands as they would a
woven wire fence, and with a good charger when they try to slip through it is
memorable event.

  • [Homestead] Tvo post Feb 1999, Re: FW: Fenceposts in rock, low-cost (temporary?) animal shelter., Rob, 01/08/2006