homestead - [Homestead] Avian flu

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Avian flu
  • Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 06:34:15 -0000

Editor's note: To celebrate the publication of
<http://jump.salon.com/xlink?3301> "The Believer Book of Writers Talking to
Writers," edited by Vendela Vida, writers Mike Davis ("City of Quartz") and
Joshuah Bearman (LA Weekly, McSweeney's, The Believer) had their own
conversation in Los Angeles on Nov. 11. Below, Bearman questions Davis about
the ideas in his new book,
<http://www.salon.com/books/int/2005/12/13/davis/%20http:/jump.salon.com/xli
nk?3302%20> "The Monster at Our Door: The Global Threat of Avian Flu." Salon
is pleased to publish the transcript of that event below.

The interview is well worth reading. We may well be cooked already, but we
still have a bit of time to try to figure out if there is anything to do to
head off the next big plague.

World civilization hasn't done much of a job of addressing AIDS.
Fortunately, it spreads slowly. Once bird flu, OTOH, jumps the species
barrier, it will spread like, ahem, the common cold.

Well, I'm ever so happy that I've lived a large part of the years I'm likely
to have. In other words, I can no longer die young.

Marie

  • [Homestead] Avian flu, Marie McHarry, 12/13/2005