homestead - Re: [Homestead] Mojave was: NAIS

  • From: Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Mojave was: NAIS
  • Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2005 08:48:29 -0400

At 10/27/2005, you wrote:

A tad east of Mojave, actually - Daggett, other side of Barstow. I recall you
writing a while back that you were not too impressed with our railyards. I was
crushed!

I do not remember that but I have been through the area many times, the last time this last May.

I do remember traveling through Mojave every year when the family went 'camping'
- in the mid-forties to mid-fifties. Was there a Red Rooster Cafe? Now, I whiz
through every so often on the way to Tehachapi - always tempted to close my
eyes...I liked it the way it was.

I do not remember that one, it was the mid sixties when I first started going there. Many of those places along Sierra Highway are long gone and now that the town is bypassed from the east more are going. I worked in several gas stations there and all are gone. The garage I worked in is still there but a mere shadow of its former self.

I still have things stored outside Mojave but will be moving them to Ridgecrest.

Don Bowen Awl Knotted Up

My travel journal

My present location is the star on the map in the link below
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=decimal&latitude=35.588269&longitude=-82.629132