homestead - Re: [Homestead] Carla Emery died....

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Carla Emery died....
  • Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 23:18:49 -0500

I am shocked and sad to hear this. She was about my age and when we last visited in our home a few years ago she seemed in excellent health. Carla was a wonderful and powerful person. She helped more newbies learn the ways of country living than anyone I can think of. I've not known any author who worked so hard to market their books. She traveled the country, hauling boxes of books, giving highly informative free talks on homesteading and writing and then, at the intermission, selling books. People opened their homes to her. She slept on lots of nice people's couches in lots of small towns and big places, too. In the beginning she hauled her children with her in a station wagon. She would pull into a town, find out where the radio or TV station was, and go sell the manager on giving her an on-air interview. I believe she appeared on The Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. She was unique. She was special. Carla Emery was a national treasure.

Here's to you, sweetheart.