homestead - Re: [Homestead] "Non-Native Invasives" Useful in Permaculture (Part I)

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] "Non-Native Invasives" Useful in Permaculture (Part I)
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 13:12:27 -0700

Madrone grows quite nicely under fir trees, they don't like irrigated land, do quite nicely where it is high and dry and is a native. It makes better firewood than acacia. So why not plant a native? And, if you cut them down during the winter, the following spring new sprouts appear and you don't have to plant new madrones, they perpetuate themselves.

As to your fir trees, would you be talking Doug Fir or a real fir? Doug Firs should net you at least $200/1000, minimum. That would be, with the current diesel prices, a lot more than 10% of what the mills are offering. Closer to 50%. I'd suggest you shop around. Or are the mills and loggers up there a lot less honest than the ones down here?

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Bill Jones" <billj AT harborside.com>
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2005 11:00 AM

Us, to begin with.

Actually I was talking about plants. Here's a small list I typed up
this evening.

1. Acacia dealbata (Silver wattle)

There are no natives that can be expected to persist here on high,
unirrigated ground, other than fir trees. The only particular value of
fir trees, except to squirrels, is to sawmill owners who live forever.
There won't be any production from a planting for many decades, and even
if there were, the crooks will offer me 10% to take it from me.
Furthermore, fir trees toxify the soil and prevent all but adapted
plants from growing under them.

That really only leaves acacia, the drought-tolerant plant that you can
put on any dry hillside and expect to harvest _useful_ biomass in just a
few years. I'm planning to order 4 more for the front driveway edge
today. I wonder where, exactly, is it going to "invade" to from there?
I'd be reluctant to give it access to water, which it has no need for
anyway.