homestead - Re: [Homestead] Betting on oil

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT dtnspeed.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Betting on oil
  • Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2005 20:57:38 -0500

Now that's an interesting bet. If oil geologists can be believed, there
aren't a lot, if any, more big oil fields that haven't been discovered that
can economically be extracted at anything like today's prices. Peak oil was
accurately predicted in the US, and peak oil in the world is -- using the
same methods -- being predicted as imminent or already here for the world.
I'm hoping that when the price of gasoline gets to $6, we'll have figured
out some alternatives. Right now it costs me $20/week in gas to commute, and
I could live with $60. Unfortunately, commuting is not going to be the only
price rise.

Marie, too decrepit to bicycle to work every day, but quite adept at working
lost distance by Internet