homestead - Re: [Homestead] Toyota chooses Canada over USA

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Toyota chooses Canada over USA
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 05:08:59 -0700

I can't remember exactly where I read it -- NYT, I think -- but I was
reading about Costco and was appalled that Wall Street types were
criticizing them heavily for supplying health insurance with too little
employee contribution and keeping wages too high and prices too low.

Wall Street is enabled by profit. Wall Street pressure has caused more than several companies to make bad business decisions, just to satisfy the quarterly profit reports that drive the stocks. From Wall Street's position, anything that diminishes profit is bad, whether being nice to employees or not adjusting prices to the point of customer resistance.

Our national health care system is a disgrace, a national shame. It is costing us much more than auto manufacturing plants.