homestead - [Homestead] Doing like the Romans did... and the Mayans...

  • From: ted <music AT thenightshades.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Doing like the Romans did... and the Mayans...
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2005 13:10:05 -0700

It feels pretty colonial out here in Oregon, with the Feds requisitioning x
million board feet of lumber and they don't care where it comes from. The
local BLM head has to have some kind of parallel in Roman times, some local
official trying to make good on a quota ex machina.

And the guys on the ground have basically no say- of course they're the only
ones actually looking at the real situation, or at least that fragment of
it. Makes me think of Mayan peasants scrabbling after the demands of the
out-to-lunch nobility, who meanwhile are pulling thorny ropes through their
tongues and torturing enemy combatants.

Yikes!
Ted

on 5/24/05 9:01 AM, Melody wrote:

> Secondly, a big national government cannot take care of a community
> hundreds if not thousands of miles away. They don't understand the
> culture, the needs, or the wants of the people. For that reason, local
> governments should take care of their own towns, including the schools,
> roads, and any issue that can't be taken care of through basic free
> enterprise. The state should pick up any slack, of which their should be
> little. The Feds should really have very little say about what goes on in
> the states, except to enforce that the people's rights (based on the Bill
> of Rights) are not violated and provide for the common defence.

  • [Homestead] Doing like the Romans did... and the Mayans..., ted, 05/24/2005