homestead - Re: [Homestead] Calf Roping

  • From: Steve Oliphant <steveo AT crecon.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Calf Roping
  • Date: Tue, 03 May 2005 19:56:17 -0600

A google search found this:

http://www.portlandmercury.com/2002-06-19/ex3.html

Step 7: With the lasso around the calf's neck and the calf on its back, pull a "pigging string" (which should be attached to your hip) around three of the calf's legs. Weave through the legs like threading a loom. Loop around three times and then bring the lead of the rope under the loops and cinch tight. Then throw your hands up, because you've just roped a calf, pardner!

Not much help. I couldn't find a video or more detailed explanation. I would go watch a rodeo, and then ask a contestant how it is done.

-Steve

David Farnell wrote:

Does anyone know of a good website which shows how to hog tie a calf and/or
the "two wraps and a hooey" method? Thanks.