homestead - [Homestead] Clamps

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Clamps
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 16:51:28 -0700

While doing my current project I used a number of clamps, both "c" clamps and those adjustable bar clamps. I use them not only to hold something together while the glue dries but as a third hand.

As I used these I thought about where they came from. I bought one '"c" clamp at a hardware store when I really needed it, it was spendy. The rest I picked up at auctions, usually in a cardboard box with other stuff and always cheap. I have not spent even a dollar a piece for the last 10 I picked up.
The first 4 bar clamps I bought were 'good' ones ($$), the next 6 I picked up on sale at Harbor Freight at around $3 ea and they work as well as the clamps I paid a lot more for.
The last auction I went to I got a box of "c" clamps, lot's of drill bits, a soldering gun and some other junk for $5, there were 6 or 8 clamps in that box. At the same auction there were 4 24" bar clamps and they went for a lot. That makes me think the value of "c" clamps is really underrated.

Speaking of clamps, sometimes you can use "Vice Grip" clamping pliers to clamp things. After much blood spilled with house brand vice grips I only keep "Vice Grip"™vice grips.

Anyway if you are slowly gathering tools and such for the move to the 'land' don't forget the clamps. I have never had too many clamps.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA

  • [Homestead] Clamps, Rob, 04/23/2005