homestead - Re: [Homestead] Happy Birthday, T.J.

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Happy Birthday, T.J.
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2005 08:13:26 -0700

> It would be a stretch to call Thomas Jefferson a homesteader.

Would it? I might have thought that too until a few years ago when I got (at the library, alas, I don't own it) the book publishing all of Thomas
Jefferson's farming and gardening notes. In the essentials of trying to run his plantation on a self-sufficient basis, he was very much the essential homesteader.

My vision of homesteader is one who lives a simpler life. I am a great admirer of the sage of Monticello even knowing his weaknesses and contradictions. At age fourteen his father died and TJ inherited 1,900 acres and 30 slaves. He was given a splendid education. A year after he married Martha her father died and left her substantial fortune, doubling the Jefferson estate and adding many slaves to his work force. In spite of all this, he was in debt for essentially all his adult life.

Historically, the homesteader is one who by necessity acts in a prudent and modest manner regarding finances, producing what modest needs and selling the surplus to pay taxes and buy what cannot be produced. We moderns who seduce ourselves with the term have most in common our desire for space, freedom and self-reliance. A few hundred acres and one hired hand, maybe. Jefferson had thousands of acres and 187 slaves.

As for his gardening and farming interests and efforts, they are apparent from his careful and voluminous records. His love of the rural life and his curious mind caused him to collect, study and improve many varieties of plants. He designed extensive gardens; the main garden is nearly two acres in size. One of his slaves noted that the master even occasionally, in the cool of late day, got his hands dirty for a half hour or so.

These are my considerations for writing, "It would be a stretch to call Thomas Jefferson a homesteader."