homestead - Re: [Homestead] Comprehensive assessment of world's ecosystemsreleased; be ve...

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Comprehensive assessment of world's ecosystemsreleased; be ve...
  • Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 10:08:43 EST

> That is exactly why I am always looking out for the long-term. I have six

> children and who knows how many unborn grandchildren who will have to take

> the world as it is handed to them, good or bad.

> I cannot, for that reason, look only to what is good for my generation.

> It's the whole building bridges thing...

> “The Bridge Builder"

> by Will Allen Dromgoole

A folk singer that may not be known very widely but lived around here for a
long time, John McCutchen, has lyrics in one of his songs along the same
sentiments:

Apple trees gowing on the mountain side, gone, gonna rise again
He planted the seeds just before he died, gone, gonna rise again
I guess he knew he'd never see
Red fruit hanging from the tree
But he planted the seeds for his children and me, gone, gonna rise again

Yet what I see all around me is that the geezerly generation is willing to
impoverish their children's and grandchildren's generations to make things as
easy as possible on themselves.

James