homestead - Re: [Homestead] Leggy Basil Seedlings

  • From: Nels Tomlinson <nels.tomlinson AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Leggy Basil Seedlings
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 12:53:13 -0500

Basil likes heat, and light.

In Fairbanks, we used to hang cheap shoplights over the basil and
tomato plants, so that the top leaves were barely touching the tubes.
We hung tinfoil off the sides of the shoplights to make sure that all
the light hit leaves, and raised the shoplights as the plants grew.

We'd start the basil and tomatos in late February, and plant them out
in late May or sometimes even the first week of June. They'd have
done better in the tropics, but they didn't get tall, pale and
spindley, and by mid July we usually got enough basil to sell at the
Farmer's Market, with some left over for pesto. We'd pick them until
the frost killed them.

We never got anything but green tomatos, even with varieties from
Siberia; winter always came too early, with hard frosts in late
August, or early September at the latest.

Nels