homestead - Re: [Homestead] Power vs. Energy

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Power vs. Energy
  • Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2005 12:04:42 EST

> But it was the second part that really set off my BS detector. I'm
> trying to find some other interpretation for what's written here, but
> 120 watts per square inch is far more energy than what is contained in
> sunlight. ...., and generally nowhere near that, since at most 10%
> of the energy is converted to electricity.

Bill, your grave error here is applying science and math to the search for
the Holy Grail. It's a very unpopular thing to do. The expectation to find
the
Elixir of Life, Universal Solvent, and Philosopher's Stone continues unabated.

Solar is a great source of electricity for a fence charger. It is also
feasible for relatively low wattage devices like computers and radios. It's
feasibility becomes shaky when applied anything but very modest lighting.
One only
has to apply the math to see how much resources are needed to run electrical
motors and (gasp) heating devices like ranges and water heaters.

It's a paradox that in order to adapt a household entirely to alternate
energy, it requires drastic lifestyle changes ... and once those changes are
effected, the dependency on electricity is so small it is negligible making
in
unattractive to expend extensive resouces to bring about the alternate energy
in
the first place (except here there's no other choice).

James