homestead - Re: [Homestead] Saying it like it is: Don't Blame WalMart

  • From: "Melody O." <melody AT crecon.com>
  • To: trevor AT ISBNread.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Saying it like it is: Don't Blame WalMart
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:18:39 -0700

At 07:49 PM 2/28/05 -0500, you wrote:
>> Yet, knowing this, I still shop at Home Depot. Helluva dilemma.
>> Shall I beat myself up over this apparent breach of values behavior simply
>> accept that I am just another smart American consumer, going where it is
>> convenient and money wise to buy what I want? How do you guys feel about
>> these things? Do you shop at WalMart and Home Depot? How do you feel about
>> the values dilemma?
>
> The answer is is so simple it's hard for most people to believe: Get rid
>of the root cause: in this particular case, the tariffs.

***Absolutely!

> The economic arguments and the results of gettting rid of most government
>programs (and the taxes and inflation necessary to support them) are
>logically overwhelming and borne out by years of experience, but almost
>never heard.
>
> The obvious truth that taking the power away from politicians will get
>rid of the corruption, while new rules and regulations designed to fight
>the corruption simply give lawmakers more opportunity to misuse their
>power, is hidden behind other arguments. The biggest of these smoke
>screens is "Democrat or Republican?"
>
> Try http://www.downsizeDC.com if you want to learn about some of that.
>

>Hmm... did I say all that out loud? What I meant was:
>
> Yeah, I shop at WalMart.
>
> - Trevor.

***I totally agree! And I like the website. The only way that there can
be monopolies, or in this case huge corporations that eat up mom and pop
businesses, is with the help of government. Take away all of the "help"
government gives, and you will level the playing field.

Best wishes,
Melody