homestead - [Homestead] Greenspan on SS change

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: "homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org" <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Greenspan on SS change
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 06:03:22 -0700

Is anyone not yet tired of scare tactics used to justify an agenda not in the best interests of the people? We have for some time now been told by the president that SS is heading for bankruptcy. That scare tactic is used to justify the need for private investment accounts. But in fact, private accounts do nothing for the solvency of the SS system. They seem to me to only do something for Wall Street.

Here's an excerpt from:

Borrow Cautiously, Greenspan Advises
Bush May Agree to Raise Social Security Tax Ceiling

By Nell Henderson and Jim VandeHei
Washington Post Staff Writers
Thursday, February 17, 2005; Page A01

"Greenspan agreed with White House officials and Democrats that private accounts, by themselves, would do nothing to improve Social Security's long-term solvency. The president has not proposed any specific ways to reduce Social Security's future obligations."

And there you have it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A27890-2005Feb16.html

  • [Homestead] Greenspan on SS change, Gene GeRue, 02/17/2005